O God, with all our hearts, we long for you. Come, transform us to be Christ-centred, Spirit-empowered, Mission-focused people, multiplying disciples everywhere.
- At his baptism, Jesus was named, blessed, and affirmed by the Father and the Spirit. Do you live with an ongoing sense that you are dearly loved by God?
- How have you experienced the Spirit strengthening you in obedience? Where do you sense his invitation to be conformed to Christ?
- Where do you sense a need for the Spirit to empower your ministry?
- That you, your loved ones, your church, and your city would experience the love of God; be empowered by the Spirit to walk in holiness and participate in the ministry of Jesus.
- That the North African Arabs would be transformed by the supernatural work of the Spirit among them.
- Jesus, what do you want to reveal to me through your Spirit to hear, see, or do today?
North African Arabs:
Over 252 million North African Arabs live in seven different countries. Some North African countries have no fellowships, while others have local fellowships with a higher percentage of Christians. The evangelical population in this region ranges from 0% to 0.39%. Depending on the location, receptivity to the Gospel varies from low to hostile.
Warm and hospitable, with a strong emphasis on family and relationships, many North African Arabs have also found themselves in Canada.
Pray with us:
Father, we bless the communities of faith among North African Arabs with an anointing of your Spirit. As they go out, fill them with boldness and courage. May they share your love and truth. Father, thank you for how North African Arabs mirror the hospitality you have shown. We bless North African Arabs with hungry hearts, ready to receive the truth of Jesus Christ.
Come and speak to them through dreams, visions, media, and local believers. You stand at the door and knock. May they hear your voice and open the door so that you can come in. May they eat the Living Bread, drink the Living Water, and be satisfied. We bless those currently searching for you to find more than they ever imagined. Amen.
- Are there areas in your life where God says: “Be not afraid because my Spirit is with you”?
- Are you expectant for the Spirit to be poured out on you and your church family in transformational ways?
- How is the Spirit’s work among the young and old in your church?
- That we would have great boldness through the Spirit to not be afraid to declare the wonders of God.
- That all of us would be filled with the Holy Spirit and be anointed with the gifts we need to bring salvation to all the people groups living around us.
- That the presence of the Spirit in our lives would be unexplainable and irresistibly attractive to the world.
- That there would be a glorious harvest of salvation among the Vietnamese Diaspora in Cambodia.
- Jesus, what wonders do you want to release in my life through your Spirit’s work in and through me?
Vietnamese Diaspora in Cambodia:
Approximately 800,000 Vietnamese live in Cambodia—38.5% of whom are under 20. Most are undocumented migrants, materially poor, and many are illiterate or pre-literate.
As undocumented migrants, they face many struggles trying to find stable income and access to education. They experience hardship as an immigrant population embedded in an unwelcoming society.
Most practice a mix of Buddhism, animism, and ancestral worship. Only 0.17% of the Vietnamese in Cambodia are Evangelical Christians. There is a growing church presence in Phnom Penh and a few other areas, but there is little to no gospel access in most other regions of the country.
There are over 240,000 Vietnamese who call Canada home!
Pray with us:
Father, thank you for those you have called and sent to work among the Vietnamese. Bless them with wisdom from above and encourage them daily. We pray that you would raise leaders from the local body of believers to serve. Bless and anoint those you have sent to preach among the Vietnamese. Would you remove every obstacle that stands in the way and bring down any strongholds rooted in religious traditions? Bless the Vietnamese with the ability to hear and believe so that many will call upon the name of the Lord and be saved! Amen.
- How have you experienced the Spirit helping you with your prayers through intercession?
- What battles are you fighting in prayer that you can only win with the help of the Spirit?
- How could the Spirit help you persevere in prayer for others, even when the people you pray for are unresponsive?
- That God would give you the perseverance to keep praying until he gives you the victories he has called you to fight for.
- That God would raise intercessors to hold up your hands when you are tempted to give up—and that he would help you to do the same for others.
- That God would grant our Alliance family victory in the spiritual battle for the salvation of the Azerbaijani.
- Jesus, is there a battle you are calling me to fight for in prayer with the help of the Holy Spirit and others in my community of faith?
Zoroastrianism, most widely known for its element of fire worship, was commonly practiced in ancient times and originated in Azerbaijan. Evidence of this old religion is still prolific today. After the disciple Bartholomew preached in Azerbaijan, Christianity grew to be the official religion by the 4th century. Islam became prominent in the 7th century, and as a result, Azerbaijani culture today shows little evidence of its Christian heritage. Today, 90% of Azerbaijani follow Islam.
Azerbaijani value loyalty and hospitality. Tea and bread are considered daily essentials. Azerbaijan is the wealthiest post-Soviet country due to oil and natural gas. However, corruption has slowed development and created economic hardship.
There are 8.8 million Azerbaijani in Azerbaijan and over 20 million in Iran, of which less than 0.25% are believers. About 7,000 Azerbaijanis live in Canada, predominantly in the Toronto area.
Pray with us:
Father, rebuild ancient ruins that have been devastated; restore a temple of praise. Restore the Azerbaijani to their gospel roots! Open their eyes to see you and increase their longing to worship you. Bless believers with an increased knowledge of the Scriptures. Anoint them with your Spirit, enabling them to be faithful and bold in witness, withstanding persecution. We call for more workers among the Azerbaijani and ask that a Bible school be established. Bless them with eternal satisfaction in you, Jesus, and we thank you that you are the bread of life. Whoever comes to you will never go hungry, and whoever believes in you will never be thirsty (John 6:35). Amen.
- Do you believe the Holy Spirit wants to empower ALL you do? How have you seen this in your life?
- Are you surprised that the proposal to find people to wait on tables and care for widows required the candidates to be full of the Spirit? Why or why not?
- That every person in our churches would be filled with the Holy Spirit and empowered to serve others.
- That we would all receive the Spirit’s wisdom to respond to the challenges and threats we face.
- That God would pour out his Spirit on our artists to empower them to create extraordinary works that will lead us to greater worship and delight in God’s beauty.
- That the opposition to the Gospel among the Huichol would be dispelled by Spirit-empowered believers.
- Jesus, who are the people you are calling me to serve, and what are the things you are calling me to create in the power of the Spirit?
Around 44,000 Huichol live in Mexico, and about 6,000 reside in the United States. Only 0.4% of the Huichol population is Christian. Most Huichol follow an ethnic religion that believes in many gods. Converts to Christianity are often persecuted by and expelled from their community.
Praise God that there are new opportunities through community development to build relationships and access other Huichol groups.
Pray with us:
Heavenly Father, please bless the Huichol with the revelation of who you are, the one true God.
Bless them with pictures of your loveliness: a merciful God who saves, a God who rejoices over his loved ones with gladness, and a God who sings over his people. Comfort them with your love (Zephaniah 3:17). May their hearts and minds be receptive to you, Jesus.
We ask for your mercy on those persecuting their people who believe in you. Bless the persecutors with a revelation of who you are and with Damascus Road experiences. Please enable them to see you.
We bless Huichol believers to grow daily in their relationship with you. We pray that through them, you would draw others to yourself—even to the ends of the earth. Amen.
- What difficulties are you complaining about these days? What complaints are you receiving from others? Have you asked for the filling of the Spirit to empower you to respond?
- How has the Spirit’s empowerment enabled you to live in unity with others?
- How has the Spirit gifted you for works of service to God’s people?
- That we would all be completely humble and patient to experience the unity that the Spirit brings.
- That our complaining would be transformed into Spirit-empowered solutions to the challenges we face.
- That God would raise Spirit-empowered believers to partner with us in his Kingdom work.
- That a unified body of believers among the Laotian would be equipped to reach their people.
- Jesus, what do I most need Spirit-empowerment for today? To be humble or patient? To equip others for the work of the Kingdom? To trust and not complain?
There are over 7 million Laos, and 60% identify as Buddhists. Animism, religion, and folklore are deeply rooted in the Lao culture. According to The Joshua Project, 2.52% of the population are Evangelical believers.
Pray with us:
Heavenly Father, would you help the Lao know the blessing of their God-created culture. Bless them to see where they have entangled and robbed of their freedom in Christ.
Holy Spirit of God, hover over this nation. Give them a deluge of truth that will unseat tradition and bring release. Bless them with living water to refresh them and lead many to salvation.
Thank you that you will present the Lao before yourself as a pure and spotless bride. We lift these prayers of blessing to the Eternal, whose love for the Lao is never failing. Amen.
- In what ways are you waiting in prayer for the filling of the Spirit to empower you as a witness for Christ?
- Who are you waiting within prayer for this empowerment? Do you pray for this with others?
- What are the threats you face that require supernatural resources from the Spirit to respond to?
- Do you need to ask God to stretch out his hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders?
- That our longing to be effective in Spirit-empowered mission would compel us to seek this with others.
- That God would enable us to speak his Word with great boldness and love and that it would be accompanied by the supernatural power of the Spirit to heal and transform lives.
- That among each people group we’ve prayed for this week (North African Arabs, Vietnamese Diaspora in Cambodia, Azerbaijani, Huichol, Laotian), God would stretch out his hand to reveal the glory of Christ to them.
- Jesus, what keeps me from greater fullness of your Spirit’s empowerment today?
Support the mission
The Global Advance Fund (GAF) is a pooled fund that supports our workers in Canada and around the world to share the Gospel with people who haven't yet heard the name of Jesus. Your continued generosity equips and sustains our workers and their ministry.
God of the Unexpected: Maida AndersonThe Alliance Canada
2022 Annual ReportThe Alliance Canada
Ukraine Update September 2023The Alliance Canada
Leaning On Christ; Leading Like Christ: Mike SohmThe Alliance Canada
Global Emergency Relief Fund: MoroccoThe Alliance Canada
President Herbold Update | September 2023The Alliance Canada